*

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Gourmet Girl

Back in March, I started a lunch delivery service on Fridays. I love to cook, but the point of being home is to spend time with Emmalene while she's a baby. So, I had to limit the lunches to only one day a week. It started a little slow, but quickly picked up once word got out. I make southern gourmet-style lunches that are homemade with a dessert. For example, one week I did chicken grape salad with sour cream butter biscuits and creamy cocounut cake. I package them in brown paper gift bags with a red tie and a label describing the contents, etc. I send out a menu via email each Tuesday and take orders until Thursday at 5:00 PM. Then, it's cook, cook, cook! Sometimes I'm up very late depending on the menu. I want it to be fresh and homemade so that means time.

I've picked up a lot of business from the schools. The teachers have supported me as well as local businesses. I've added cakes during holidays (Easter, 4th of July, etc.) which brings in a little extra too. For Christmas, I picked up a small catering job and have made many cakes for parties. As a matter of fact, I had to put a hold on Friday lunches for the rest of December due to cake orders and small catering jobs. I love it! It doesn't seem like a job because I get to do what I love, but it also brings in some extra money. It basically buys groceries each week. A little something never hurts!

This a photo of a recent cake I did for a Christmas party. It's a red velvet cake with cream cheese icing. I decorated it with a gingerbread theme. I took a quick photo before delivering it.


No comments:

Post a Comment