*

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Animal Cell

Madison had to create a 3D animal or plant cell along with a key for a grade in Science. She chose the animal cell. Normally I help with nightly homework and Bruce has "project" duty, but I was actually excited about this project unlike my normal response to projects.

When Madison was brainstorming her construction process, it reminded me of having to make a plant cell when I was in Mr. Durrance's 7th grade Biology class. My dad helped me make the cell on a sheet of heavy cardstock with window sealant as the cytoplasm. He helped me find stuff around the house to represent the other stuff in it. I remember having fun with my dad at the table trying to glue everything down. I told Madison about that and she thought it was funny.

So, Madison was thinking of different ways to create this 3D model when she opted for a cake. We made a two-layer cake so the model could be eaten later. The cytoplasm was the icing on top and the cell parts were all edible. She used red hots, a fire bowl for the nucleus, gummy worms, cotton candy, licorice, sugar strings, and jelly beans. She also had to create a key showing what each item represented. That was done on a sheet of neon pink cardstock. She was so excited that we took pictures to document her work.




The next morning she gathered everything and headed off to school. I don't know who was more excited, her or me, about finding out how well she did. Later that day, I picked her up from school. She hopped in the car saying that one other kid had made their project out of a cake, but that her's was a hit. They ate it in class and she turned in her key for a grade.



After the weekend, Monday finally brought the grade she hoped for. It was a 100!!! She grabbed my camera and took a photo of her grade and I took one of her holding it. (We had to throw the key away since it had food on it.)



You can see from this photo just how excited and proud she was!

No comments:

Post a Comment