Some time ago, I heard Joel Osteen (a television pastor and author) talking about speaking positive words over your children. He shared a story about his sister-in-law who everynight when she tucked her son into bed, spoke words of encouragement over her son. She would start by saying you are my superhero, you are my Buzz Light Year... Anyway, I thought that was really neat. So, I started it with Madison.
At first, I thought she'd think it was silly, but she didn't. She loved it! So, every night when I go to her room to tuck her in (you're never to old to be tucked in!), I start out by saying You are... One example of that is last night I said the following: You are going to be used by God in an amazing way. He's going to use your gift of words to bless people and encourage them possibly by writing cards or praying for them. You are the brightest star in the sky. You are the prettiest tulip in the garden. You are the smartest girl in your school. You are my sunshine. You are the face that I want to see as soon as I wake up every morning. And so on.
Well, one night I kissed her goodnight after prayers and walked out. She yelled out "Mom, you forgot to tell me who I am". So, I headed back in there to do what I started. It's become one of our nightly rituals and I'm so glad I started it. Everyone needs to know who they are!
No comments:
Post a Comment